Friday, 13 February 2009

Find the flow

After spending a good eighteen months editing and shaping Topavzian, until finally after ten drafts it was completed, I found it a bit tough to get into writing the sequel. The first few pages took more than half an hour - OUTRAGE! I soon realised that my mindset was still in editing, re-reading and shaping mode - a side-effect from my first novel. So I downed tools, closed my eyes, relaxed and focused my mind on 'stream of consciousness' - to just write anything without thinking about it - GET IT ALL DOWN! finish the first draft and then focus on editing and shaping. Since then I've been writing like the clappers, knocking out about 1,500 words in my two hour daily slot between 8pm and 10pm. I've already clocked up close to 8,000 words and am on chapter five. Unlike the two years I gave myself to write Topavzian, this time I've given myself eighteen months - but still allowing about six months to finish draft 1. I'll keep you posted on how I get on.

1 comment:

  1. keep up the hard work friend,

    keep it up, good luck

    KUHA®

    ReplyDelete